The SoFA District came together in the early 1990s when independent businesses in a neglected part of downtown San Jose adopted the moniker while the attention of the city’s Redevelopment Agency was focused elsewhere. Growing organically in small scale storefront venues, the three blocks of South First Street became home to a thriving nightlife with clubs, theaters and restaurants and an assortment of arts groups, galleries, lifestyle businesses and media, advertising, architecture and design firms.
The SoFA Partnership was formed in 2016 to promote and enhance the SoFA District by preserving and improving the district; promoting mutually supportive problem solving; disseminating information; enhancing communication and coordination; providing a forum to develop common goals; resolving common concerns and issues; providing a common voice one voice for all matters that concern the business district
The SoFA Partnership seeks to:
1. Coordinate and review marketing activities
2. Encourage and support SoFA’s artistic and economic development
3. Nurture SoFA’s unique character
4. Promote safety and clean streets
6. Coordinate events and street closures
7. Encourage development consistent with SoFA’s unique character and history
If you share our goals and want to join us, please see our membership application.